The apartment is not small. It is tiny. What real estate agents call “cozy”. It’s like living out of a carry-on writ large. The kitchen is literally in a closet (no joke). I won’t go into the specifics of living with your better half in a shoe box, but today I do wish to speculate on the origins of the most mysterious furnishing in our tiny adobe; the television.
The only television that we have came with the apartment and we have never turned it on. Why would we not use a perfectly good television? Because it’s in the BATHROOM.
That’s right – The sole TV in our apartment is in the bathroom. We can only assume that someone (maybe the landlord, hopefully not an interior designer) put the TV in the bathroom for a reason. But why?
Here are a few hypotheses about why we have a television in the bathroom:
- Perhaps if you tilt the mounted face mirror at a certain angle you could try to watch television from the half bathtub.
- On-toilet entertainment.
- Maybe Chinese people are so busy that the only time they have to watch television is while brushing their teeth.
- So women can watch soap operas while pretending to pluck their eyebrows.
- So men can watch football/rugby/horse racing etc while shaving.
- Adult entertainment?
- To prevent obesity by making sure no one is eating in front of the television.
- As a sound barrier to cover up the sound of unmentionable things.
- So you can look in the mirror (with the TV on) and see a celebrity.
Do you have more ideas about why there is a TV in my bathroom? I’d love to hear from you!